- 2 small bunches Lacinato kale, washed, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 12 red or Yukon potatoes, skins on, in ¼” slices (baby potatoes work great too, just use a few more)
- 1 whole med. onion, chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 pound Italian Sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 quart whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- fresh or dried oregano
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
Prepare the kale and set it aside.
Gently sauté the chopped onion in a bit of olive oil until transparent, add minced garlic and sauté briefly; be careful not to allow garlic to brown.
In a medium pot, boil sliced potatoes until just tender. Drain and set aside.
In a large heavy-bottomed pot, crumble and brown the Italian sausage. Drain as much as the fat as you can. Stir in the red pepper flakes, oregano, onion mixture, chicken broth, milk, and half-and-half.
Simmer for 30 minutes. Additional hot water or stock may be added at this point if needed.
Taste, then adjust seasonings as needed. Add the potatoes, a splash of heavy cream for richness, then stir in the kale. Simmer an additional 10-15 minutes.
Serve hot, with shaved Parmigiano Reggiano.